Jun 14, 2013

Phat Friday: Grill Towels for Dad

Every guy in my life is the Master of his Grill.  I mean, what man doesn't love the blessed combination of good food & a roaring fire, right?!  Ok, maybe not roaring ... sometimes it's just the gentle hiss of the propane tank, but it's true that few things say summer like the sizzle of dinner on the BBQ. 
I especially appreciate the break from dinner prep & encourage my husband's grilling adventures with shiny new grill tools, spice rubs & even the occasional homemade BBQ sauce.  For Father's Day this year, I came up with a creative gift for the man who has everything:  Grill Towels!

Jen & I worked together on this tutorial for you to make your own - an excellent last-minute gift for the Grilling Man in your life!

Here's what you'll need:
  • Hand Towels (I purchased a package of bar mop towels from WalMart that were 16" x 19" each - they were the perfect length that wouldn't drag on the ground when hung on the grill)
  • one Fat Quarter to coordinate with your towels
  • Fabric Scraps for a personalized applique
  • Heat & Bond Lite
  • XL Eyelet kit (7/8" size)

For each of your hand towels, cut a 5” x 18” strip.  I used one fat quarter for 3 towels & still had some extra for another towel.
Press in ¼” along each long edge of the fabric strip.  Fold in each short edge approximately 1”.  This measurement will vary, depending on the width of your towel. 
Lay this pressed fabric strip along the short edge of your towel.  I put mine approximately 2” from the bottom of my towel.  Pin in place.
Before you start stitching, be sure that your bobbin thread matches the towel.  Since my towel is blue, I used blue for the bottom & white for my top thread since it blended well with the fabric strip.
Starting at the short edge of the fabric strip, stitch in place using a 1/8” seam allowance.
Now let’s personalize our towels with some fun appliqué.  First, fuse your fabric scrap to a piece of heat & bond lite.  Gemia gave us some great tips in her Father's Day pillow post, so refer here if you are unfamiliar with basic applique techniques.
I printed out the words DAD & HOT from my computer using a couple fun fonts & then transferred the letters to my scrap fabric & cut them out.  When you are appliquéing letters, be sure to trace them in reverse so that your words read correctly when you adhere them to your final piece.  I also cut out a BBQ shape from some black fabric.  Peel the paper backing from your appliqué shapes & lay them on your towel.  Press with a hot iron to fuse in place.
I stitched around the edge of each letter & shape with a coordinating thread.  I also added some smoke to my BBQ grill by free-motion stitching some swirling shapes.
I like the finishing touch of eyelets.  Adding eyelets to your towels gives them a little bit of an industrial look & also helps them to hang directly on the BBQ, within easy reach of the Grill Master.  If your grill doesn’t have hooks, you can add “S” hooks to a bar on the side or even attach some hardware.
 I used 7/8” eyelets & the size was perfect.  The instructions for attaching them are right on the box.  If you don’t already have the setter & anvil, be sure you get a package that includes them or you’ll be stuck until your next craft store visit.  Be sure to have a hammer & a place with concrete to set your eyelets.

Start by folding over the corner of your towel.  My towels were somewhat thin, so this helped to add stability where placing the hardware.  Next, cut a small hole through both layers right where you want the eyelet to be placed.   Insert the eyelet into the hole & trim any bits of fabric in your way.
 Place the anvil on the ground, then lay the eyelet & fabric down (the eyelet will nest right into the anvil).  Set the washer, with prongs down, on top & then place the setter into the hole.  Pound a few times with your hammer to set in place. 
Look at Jen's pretty manicure!
Your towels are ready to hang on your grill for the next Backyard BBQ or package them up for your favorite Grill Master.  Happy Father’s Day!
 "Men like to barbecue.  Men will cook if danger is involved" - John Wayne

linked up here

13 comments:

  1. That John Wayne quote is stellar.

    You put in your eyelets? WOAH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela! The eyelets were so easy, anyone could do it! :D

      Delete
  2. Leah
    These are super cool! Where did you get the eyelet kit, Walmart? I'd like to add those (only bigger) to some curtains I have.
    Thank you so much for Linking Up at Brag About It @VMG206 this week. We are so happy to have you join us!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Please Link Up at my NEW party!! Open NOW (Sat thru Fri) @ DIY Showcase Link Party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megin! Yes, I picked up the eyelet kit at WalMart. The 7/8" were the biggest I saw there though; so if you're looking for some larger eyelets for a different application, I would try your local fabric & craft store. I've already linked up! Thanks for the invite! :D

      Delete
  3. I love these!! What a perfect man-gift! Super colorful and fun with the added bonus that he will leave my nice, white kitchen towels alone. :) Spectacular job! Thanks so much for linking up at Much Ado About Monday. We are featuring your project this week so be sure to stop by and grab a button! See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The grill towels are great and thanks for the tutorial!

    So glad you linked up with us at the BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT Link and Hop.

    We'd love it if you would link back to BeBetsy! Grab a Button.

    Have a great weekend~xo
    Sharon and Denise!
    http://bebetsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon & Denise! You ladies have a fabulous blog!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! We had fun making them :)

      Delete
  6. I wanted to let you know that I loved this project! I’m Featuring YOU on VMG206 ~ Brag About It Tuesday's Linky Party from last week! We go live Monday at Midnight. So please stop by and grab a Feature Button and Link Up something new.
    I have also pinned your project to VMG206’s Brag About It Features Pinterest Board. I can't wait to see what you've been working on this week!
    ~ Megin of VMG206

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megin, you are the sweetest! Thank you! :D

      Delete
  7. This was a great and fun article for me to read. I have really enjoyed all of this very cool and fun information. This was really very interesting. Wholesale Towels

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...